Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Painting at Lavender by the Bay

Yesterday my plein air group met at Lavender By the Bay in East Marion on the north fork of Long Island. Several of the artists had painted there before and I got mixed stories about how they liked it. I arrived at 9:30 am and fell in love with the views.

I usually paint sitting down, but a friend told me that it is hard to sit down and paint the lavender because you miss all the contours of the bushes and the shading of the rows because all you will see is the one big plant in front of you. So I took my easel which has been sitting unused lately. I set it up so it was flat and about waist high. I put a large piece of gaterboard on the easel and used that as my work surface. I was able to put my paper on the left, and my palette and brushes on the side. Here is the first view I painted across the field. This is 8 x 10.

Directly next to the view I was painting was a fenced area containing bee hives. I think they added a bit of interest for this painting. This is 5 x 7.

I forget that standing in one place is exhausing. lol So for the next painting I joined some of the other artists who were stitting under some trees to the right of the field. I sat on top of the picnic table and painted this view looking to the store. This is 5 x 7.

It was still early enough to get one more done. This was done standing by the fence see in the painting above. This is 5 x 7.

By this time it was 3:00 and I had been painting for 5 1/2 hours. lol So I quit painting and did some shopping. The store was wonderful with dried lavender sachets, soaps, fresh lavender, etc. And when the young man at the register wrapped my sachet purchases they were done so pretty that now I don't want to unwrap them. He used bright yellow tissue paper that he stapled at the bottom and then tied at the top with a yellow bow and a tiny sprig of lavender.
Can you tell that I just loved this place?

I forget that standing


11 comments:

  1. Looks a wonderful place to sit (or stand) lol. and paint. Your time was truly well spent with such lovely paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh these look fun, though not sure about all that standing for that long... I love purple so I was bound to love these. Take care. Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all, what a wonderful place to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming out Joan, glad you enjoyed yourself on the farm!!

    www.lavenderbythebay.com

    Please like us at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lavender-By-the-Bay/139579152776921

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had quite the productive day Joan. You handled all that lavender well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this painting, Joan. I was there recently and took some photos...There is nothing better than the smell of lavender plants!! Great place to paint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And what lovely paintings you turned out! I would so love to see lavender fields in person. I'd have had to shop too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann - Thanks so much!

    Laura - Standing still for that long is harder than walking. lol Thanks.

    Judy - Many thanks.

    To the Lavender By the Bay Staff - Thank you for being so gracious. I love the sachets I brought home.

    David - Thanks!!

    Hilda - Nothing beats sitting there, smelling the fragrance and painting too. Thank you.

    Sherry - You would love it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Purple is my favourite colour and these are all gorgeous paintings. I have seen so many photographs of lavender fields and would love to experience a place like this for real some day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your love shows - these are absolutely enchanting!!!! A dear friend gave me a bunch of lavender sachets for my retirement -- as I love it too --- hav eyou ever had chocolate lavender ice cream? As dreamy as your work, Joan....splendid work, my friend!!! Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon - Thank you!

    Lin - Thanks so much! I haven't had chocolate lavender ice cream but it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete