Sunday, August 17, 2014

Bryant Park - Part I

Yesterday my friend, Susan and I joined the NYC Urban Sketchers in the city. We parked and took the subway in to meet everyone, so we had the opportunity to do a few subway sketches on the way.



Bryant Park was our location for sketching. Mark proposed a "pivot party" where you sit in one location and sketch, then turn or pivot your chair to get another view. I did that for a few sketches, but it was just easier to put my chair where the view caught my eye. We had a good turnout of sketchers...about 24 people were there at some point.

My first sketch was of the Bryant Park Fountain. I sketched this in watercolor pencil and then added regular watercolors and more watercolor pencil.


Next I did a sketch of the carousel with the green areas in front.


Then it was time for a lunch break and sharing some of our work. One of the sketchers, Santi, was visiting from Barcelona. He has been sketching all over the city and did a wonderful accordion sketchbook that he shared with us.


It is always great to see the sketches that other people have done!






7 comments:

  1. The Pivot Party sounds like a great idea! I like your use of watercolor pencil... I love using them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun filled and successful day. I am intrigued by the concertina sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting post Joan! Beautiful watercolour work!
    When are you heading to Italy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the water fountain and carousel, Joan! It sounds like it was a fabulous day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Tina, the pivot party is fun, especially if you are in an area with a lot going on.

    Polly, Santi's concertina was fabulous! He planned each page so carefully and went back to fill in certain sections of the page that he left blank. I wish I had taken a closeup of a few pages.

    Wendy, we are off to Italy next month.

    Sherry, I was really happy with the fountain. I wasn't sure how the water would come out since that is the hardest part to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Joan - I always enjoy seeing what you and the Urban Sketchers are sketching. Love the fountain and the carousel. Both are so good. It is so nice you have wonderful companions and to enjoy their work as well. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Debbie. It is a really nice group and we've gone a lot of places I would never have gone to by myself.

    ReplyDelete