Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Return to the Gowanus Canal

It may not be the prettiest place around, but the NYC Urban Sketchers seemed to have a great time at the Gowanus Canal which is considered the most polluted waterway in the United States. There is a strange kind of beauty amid the gritty views along the canal. My thanks to Jessica Dalrymple and the members of the Canal Conservancy for inviting us to come and sketch the views. I missed going there with group last year, but did sketch there once before.  I did feel a little guilty (but not for long) in the morning watching the volunteers hard at work lifting and cleaning while I was sitting on my chair in the shade. They Canal Conservancy is making some headway cleaning up the area.

I found a good spot outside the salt lot to sketch the view across the canal. What drew me to this spot was the "End" sign and the view of the cement factory behind it. As gritty as the location is there are spots that just call to be sketched.


The Third Street Bridge was a great view too.


The views on the other side of the canal were interesting. 
I liked this side view of the cement factory.


Painting right near me was Jeanne Pierre who was working on an oil painting. It is hard to resist sketching another artist at work.


It was a great day of sketching!

6 comments:

  1. And you got some beautiful paintings, Joan. I love that you see the beauty behind the grit. Amazing gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these in one day - you amaze me. The bridge one is really lovely but the cement factory is too. Shapes and angles...you can do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, wonderful collection!!! I like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sherry! I like gritty places and falling-down buildings.

    Julie, thanks so much!

    Oty, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joan, I wish I could have joined you. I was elbow deep in packing boxes. I ADORE your Gowanus paintings. You did an amazing job making a superfund site look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joan, I wish I could have joined you. I was elbow deep in packing boxes. I ADORE your Gowanus paintings. You did an amazing job making a superfund site look interesting.

    ReplyDelete