Tuesday, August 29, 2017

A Sweet Time Sketching

Paint the Great South Bay caught the attention of a few of the businesses in Patchogue. Last night Kilwins Chocolates invited the participating artists to come and sketch inside their shop. The deal was to sketch something sweet and get something sweet. Each of us had a coupon to be redeemed for a free ice cream upon completion of a sketch. Only a few of us showed up but we definitely enjoyed ourselves. Those who didn't join us really lost out on a great opportunity.

From the time we walked in, this idea felt like it would be trouble with a capital T. It smelled so good inside and we were surrounded by candy in all its various states...candy pieces, fudge, caramels, popcorn covered in caramel or chocolate...you get the picture. There was someone making dipped chocolate pieces. There was also someone making caramel sauce for the caramel apples. How could I, a chocoholic, survive in there? I knew I couldn't sit there and sketch chocolate...that would be too hard to bear, so I picked the caramel apples covered with chopped pecans inside a display case. I don't like caramel apples or candy apples, so I figured this was a good choice. At least I wouldn't be drooling over them while I sketched. People loved seeing us sketching the sweet treats.

I had my stool tucked in the corner so I would be out of the way. Here is what I was facing.


Don't they look yummy? Even I thought they looked delicious.


The store itself is really cute. We are hoping to take our regular sketch group back there another night.

Rosi Berry was also sketching the caramel apples but from afar.

Gina Lento was sketching some small boxes of assorted chocolates.

Cindy Fox got up close and personal with several items in the display case.

Pauline Hazard sketched the whole display case.

When I was done I traded my coupon and my sketch for a cup of New Orleans Praline ice cream. I took it to go since I hadn't eaten dinner yet. I shared it with my hubby for dessert after dinner. It was delicious so this store may be a problem since I am in Patchogue so often. lol

The owner of this Kilwins location is going to display our sketches inside the shop.

10 comments:

  1. What a fun and delicious gig!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked in a bakery when I was a young girl so I know what you are talking about, Joan! I love your sketch, what a fun group! How nice of the store to allow this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was their way of taking part in the Paint the Great South Bay event. It was really nice of them. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. It looks like your group finds the most "tasteful" places to sketch!!! Your sketch looks so inviting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! And it is near you on a regular basis? I’m proud of you for sticking to your apples! I’m drooling reading about the chocolate. Sigh…. Nice sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thanks so much! It was a bit too much temptation.

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous idea and your sketch was just great! I don't like candied apples either but your sketch makes me think I might have tried one of those. Very , very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just how much fun is this, and talk about incentive. Apples turned out super and will be interesting to see what exposure you get from "sweet toothes"

    ReplyDelete