Sunday, October 15, 2017

Inktober - Day 15 - At the Cemetery

Today the NYC Urban Sketchers went to Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn. It is a huge place and the burial place of some famous people like Leonard Bernstein and Louis Tiffany. We drove around to find a good view to sketch and ended up by one of the back gates. I'm going to post this first, because it was what attracted us to this area...the prostrate angel was so moving that I had to sketch it. I used watercolor pencils for this.


This next sketch is my Inktober Day 15 sketch done right around the same area as the angel. I used my Lamy pen with waterproof black ink as well as my Elegant Writer to make some areas bleed.



7 comments:

  1. I know people go cemetery, creepy, but it really is a great place to sketch and love your angel. Love your ink sketches!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cemetery is so big and famous they give guided tours. There are always lots of people there. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Wow - both of these sketches are awesome. I am always amazed at your gift for details. That elegant writer was a perfect fix for making the tree soft...great contrast against the harder lines of the Church. Hope you are enjoying your warmer days before the snow comes to visit. Take care - Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. I'm having fun with the ink and the cemetery was the perfect spot to do some sketching. LOL I don't even want to think about snow. It was a bit cooler today. Enjoy!!!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful sketch of the weeping angel Joan . It is obviously a good location to get some interesting subjects - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this angel is one of the most famous headstones in the cemetery. People always take photos of it. Thanks so much, Val!

      Delete
  4. Great sketches. I like the way you did the trees, too. Interesting that we are going to the cemetery tomorrow with the Bastrop Sketchers.

    ReplyDelete