Monday, October 16, 2017

Inktober Day 16 - Scarecrow & Green-Wood Cemetery Part II

Today was a damp day so I didn't want to sit outside and sketch. I figured that if I went back to Bellport I could find a parking spot near one of the scarecrows and sketch from my car. Moday is a fairly quiet day in Bellport. I picked "Farmer Joann" or did she pick me? LOL I didn't realize her name until I got out of the car to check. I used my Elegant Writer pen and Lamy with waterproof ink for this. #inktober #inktober2017


Yesterday was a busy day at Green-Wood Cemetery. I spied another angel to sketch. In fact, I could have spent several days there sketching angels. If you haven't heard of this cemetery here is a bit of information about it. It is a National Historic Landmark and was founded in 1838. By 1860 it was attracting 500,000 visitors a year. Today people enjoy the 478 acres of hills, valleys, ponds and paths. It has one of the largest outdoor collecting of 19th and 20th century statuary and mausoleums. Since it is so popular trolley tours are given to take you around this huge place.




12 comments:

  1. Two amazing paintings Joan but the painting in the cemetery is OUTSTANDING!!! Excellent work, my friend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilda, there was so much inspiration there. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love your angel statuary sketches. . . this one is especially sublime.

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the painting of the statue. Great work

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scarecrow would make a neat card. Nice gesture on the angel. Last post I said we were going to the cemetery, well, our local one, not yours! Kinda far from Texas for the day out. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you had/will have a good time creating art in your cemetery. They really are such interesting places.

      Delete
  5. Oh your scarecrow made me smile Joan...great job. Love this angel too. The cemetery sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Beautiful painting friend. Take care and have a delightful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you so much. There was a lot to see and paint at Green-Wood. I am sure we will go back again.

      Delete
  6. The scarecrow is such a fun piece - funny about the name too. The info about the cemetery is interesting - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete