Monday, October 2, 2017

Inktober - Day 2 - Old Building and Waves

For today's Inktober sketch I went to Islip down along one of the canals where the fishing boats are. I couldn't find a view of a boat that I liked but this very worn building caught my eye. I used a twig and ink for this sketch following the method taught in the workshop I took in Chicago. KK made it look so easy...but it isn't. I like the textured effect it gives. I'll have to do more of the Inktober sketches this way so that I practice this method more. This is the perfect time.  #inktober #inktober2017


On Friday I drove to Ponquogue Beach in Hampton Bays. It was a very windy day and the water was still on the rough side from the remains of the storms that were in the Atlantic. I tried to find a spot out of the wind and where I could be elevated to see the water. It was too windy for my easel and the only place I could find that was high enough was sitting on the top edge of a bench that was against the pavilion wall. So I perched there, but it didn't give me any place to rest any of my materials and I had to hold everything. Needless to say, I did a small painting (5 x 7). I was happy with the way the spray of the waves came out.


10 comments:

  1. I like the twig sketch so much. Nice textures and a peaceful feel to it.

    The waves are excellent. Love that painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jo. The twig definitely gives the sketch great texture.

      Delete
  2. Good work on the twig sketch -- a terrific Inktober challenge to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, thanks. It doesn't really work with everything, but I like the way it worked for this.

      Delete
  3. The old building sketch is great. I never used twig for drawing but I like it. And the waves are amazing too.
    - Nadja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nadja. I had watched this instructor's videos on youtube before I told the class with him. Glad you like the waves too.

      Delete
  4. Oh Joan - I think your twig sketch is superb! The texture really does add to the building. Your painting is beautiful too. Hope you are having a delightful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you so much. The twig marks remind me of the look of charcoal lines. Today is a lovely day here. Hope yours was too.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful detail in the ink sketch Joan - well done! I really like the waves in the second piece and your determination to paint in difficult conditions is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, thanks. After driving all the way to this particular beach I was going to paint even if I ended up sitting in the car. lol Glad you like the ink sketch.

    ReplyDelete