Monday, October 9, 2017

Inktober - Day 9 - Pumpkinfest X 2

Today is the last day of Pumpkinfest here in Damariscotta. Today's big event is the Pumpkin Regatta where huge pumpkins are hollowed out and turned into boats. I went down to the harbor at around 10 to find a place close to the water where I could sit on my chair. Of course they were forecasting rain during the day. I took my slicker just in case. Since I was there about 1 1/2 hrs before the racing would start I got a good location and I was right in front of the truck that was delivering the pumpkin boats. They were forklifted off the truck. I decided since they were so close to me that was what I would sketch. I used pencil first and then my water brush and watercolors. Then I started adding some ink. It spritzed a bit so I closed the sketchbook until it stopped and then I started again. I got a good part of this painting done before it really started to rain. I was getting just too wet and it didn't look like it was going to stop, so I packed up my stuff and headed over to one of the stores. I never did see any of the actual race. When I got back to my sister's house I finished painting and inking this sketch. 


Here are a few photos I took while I was sitting there.

The crowd waiting in the rain.


The forklift delivering the pumpkin boat to the river.

The Viking boat taking a spin.

The Unicorn boat out on the river.

After I dripped off a bit in one of the stores I went back out and sat across the street under the overhang in front of the bookstore on Main Street. That was a nice, dry place and I was able to do my  Inktober Day 9 sketch of the view across the street. One of the decorated pumpkins was sitting in front of the Damariscotta Center. #inktober #inktober2017


 Here is a photo I took of the scene...right about when the shuttle bus must have dropped people off. lol 



4 comments:

  1. I love all the details in your sketch... Wonderful work on the wheels and love the colors... It looks like you're having a great time....enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those pumpkin boats must have been fun to see! I can tell you had fun sketching them.

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joan - your sketch and painting are super friend. It takes a great deal of rain to dampen your enthusiasm for capturing life. You always inspire me. Hope you have a lovely day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha, ha - the pumpkin regatta sounds like a hoot. You did a super sketch of some of the 'boats'. Well done Joan!

    ReplyDelete