Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Barnes & Noble's Starbucks

We had a damp, mostly dreary day so I wanted to sketch something indoors. I was rather tired of being in the same places so I went to the Smith Haven Mall in Lake Grove. Right outside is a Barnes & Noble with a Starbucks inside. Most Starbucks look pretty much alike but I like that the showcase was visible here.

The funny thing was that I was using my water brush which was still filled from last Saturday with a mix of water and rubbing alcohol so it wouldn't freeze. I hadn't used the water brush on Saturday...just my jar of water. For this sketch the water/alcohol mix made the watercolor pigments behave a bit strangely... they separated a lot on the palette and the paper. I'll have to remember that in the future and not mix them. My friend put vodka in her water to keep it from freezing. lol

After I finished this I went into the mall and there in the center was Santa all set up already. That was my first Santa sighting of the season, but I didn't sketch him. They use the same setup and outfit each year. I'll have to find a new location to sketch Santa.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, my! I would never even be out if my water might freeze, much less sketch. Yikes. I like this Starbucks sketch a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I never actually had the water freeze but it did crystalize as it hit the paper. I thought the paper was pilling and it was actually crystals of ice.

      Delete
  2. A super sketch Joan - I like the display case and the stand with the bags of coffee(?) Your people and clothing are always so well done and the shadows are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, your comments are always so welcome. Thanks so much!

      Delete