Wednesday, December 20, 2017

City Trip - Part 2

After a long, circuitous Uber ride, Suzala and I arrived at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We were meeting friends to sketch in the Astor Chinese Garden Court. It reminded me of the Chinese Scholar's Garden in Staten Island, but this was indoors. This courtyard was inspired by one created in China nearly 400 years ago during the Ming Dynasty. A team of craftsmen traveled from China to New York City to build it. They even brought all the materials they needed and did not use a single nail in their construction.


We took a lunch break after sketching the courtyard. It was nice to be with a small group of sketchers for a change. Talking between four of us was a lot easier and more personal than when there are 20 or more other sketchers. lol

We went back up to the Chinese wing after lunch. There were several locations that I considered sketching, but this guard lion really caught my eye. Rather than do just the lion I decided to put him into his museum setting. The statue is from the 11th or early 12th century.


For both of the sketches I used watercolor pencils. The museum prefers that you use dry media when sketching. I did use my water brush to make the wc pencil look a bit more vibrant.

11 comments:

  1. Fantabulous! Thanks for the history lesson, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It is fun to learn about what I'm sketching.

      Delete
  2. Fun to see you using watercolor pencils! They are ideal in a museum, and you can always add water later when you're away from the artwork.

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever placing him in a museum setting. It gives a teal feeling of the scale.
    Always a pleasure to see the results of your excursions. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, thanks. After I sketched the statue I realized it needed a setting.

      Delete
  4. love both of these. I too think it was a great idea of adding the museum's other exhibits. Just an awesome day for you at the Met.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I get an email address for you as I'd like to send you some special greetings - me at nelviamcgrath@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super sketches Joan and thanks for the brief 'tour'. It is always great to see through your eyes something I am never likely to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, it is a good feeling to share places with other people. Thanks.

      Delete