Thursday, April 5, 2018

Susan's Studio

Last week I went over to my friend, Susan's house with the intention of painting some of her crocuses and hellebores that were sprouting. Susan's business is creating designer custom window treatments and bedding. She has a large studio at the back of her property where she does all her work. I went in the studio and we started talking and talking while she was hemming some drapes. So instead of going out and sketching flowers I pulled out my sketchbook and sketched her at work. She's been telling me I could come and sketch her studio but this was the first time I took her up on the invitation. I think she enjoyed having company while she worked, since it is such a solitary type of work most of the time. She has huge bolts of fabric, a huge worktable, and lots of work literally hanging from the rafters. It was a fun challenge to narrow down my focus and only sketch some of what was there. Some day I'll sketch a few of her sewing machines too.


7 comments:

  1. You captured a great work-space - full of interesting 'things."
    Its the little details like the iron and spray-bottle which tickle the heck out of me...you never disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a fun sketch and story. Your friend must have enjoyed seeing this. . . not many people get to be sketched while working!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loved it, being a sketcher herself. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. So interesting Joan and not what I was expecting when I saw the title of the blog post. Our house when I was growing up often looked like this as my mom was often busy making costumes and drapes for little theatre. A super sketch and good memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. How great that it brought back memories. I just love going into Susan's studio and seeing some of the fabrics. She works with a number of designers in NYC and sometimes the fabrics are $500 or more a yard.

      Delete
  4. This is great of your friend. The friendship shows through...

    ReplyDelete